Welcome! This tutorial demonstrates adding the Apollo Android SDK to an app to communicate with a GraphQL server. In this tutorial you will learn how to:
- Download a schema
- Write queries and mutations to generate the corresponding Kotlin models
- Handle errors and loading states
- Handle pagination
- Authenticate with a back-end server
The tutorial uses an instance of Apollo Server hosted on Heroku, including the corresponding GraphQL Playground. If you're curious about how to build your own server, see the Apollo full-stack tutorial.
All of the code for this tutorial is available on GitHub.
In this tutorial, you'll build an app that allows you to book a seat on a rocket sent to space by SpaceX.
The tutorial uses the following tools and frameworks:
- Android Studio 4.0.0
- Kotlin and Kotlin coroutines
- ViewBinding, Navigation Component, ConstraintLayout and RecyclerView.
- Coil for image loading.
To focus its scope, this tutorial uses a starter project available at https://github.com/apollographql/apollo-android-tutorial so you can focus on the GraphQL parts.